When to Dial 911
911 is the phone number to call when you need help from the Police Department, the Fire Department or the Emergency Medical Services (EMS). These situations can include:
- If someone is hurting you
- If you are not sure if you should call 911 and there are no adults nearby to ask
- If you smell smoke or see fire
- To get help for someone who is hurt
How to Dial 911
- Pick up the phone and listen for a dial tone
- Push the "9" button, push the "1" button and then the "1" button again
- Wait for the 911 operator to answer the call
What to do When 911 Answers
- The 911 operator will ask you questions to find out what type of help you need, such as:
- What is your location?
- What is the emergency?
- What is your telephone number?
- What is your name?
- Remember to stay calm and speak slowly.
- Speak up loud and clear when the 911 operator asks you questions.
- Stay on the phone until the 911 operator tells you to hang up.
- Tell the 911 operator what’s wrong and where you need help.
What Not to do When Calling 911
- 911 Dos and Don’ts
- If you call 911 by mistake, stay on the line and tell the 911 operator that you dialed the wrong number.
- Do not call 911 as a joke or a prank. You can get into serious trouble. More importantly, you can delay someone else getting the help they need in an emergency.